Welcome to the Leeds Book Awards website.
Leeds Book Awards 2013
2013 AWARD WINNERS:
The winners of the 2013 Leeds Book Awards have been announced.
The winners are:
- 9-11 category: Poppy's Hero by Rachel Billington
- 11-14 category: Socks are not Enough by Mark Lowery
- 14-16 category: Slated by Teri Terry
Many congratulations to the winners.
Our 2013 shortlists contain a great selection of books:
- Rachel Billington, Poppy's Hero
- Charlotte Haptie, Granny Grabbers' Whizz Bang World
- Conrad Mason, The Demon's Watch
- William Osborne, Hitler's Angel
- Michelle Paver, Gods and Warriors
- Marcus Sedgwick, Fright Forest
- Kerry Drewery, A Brighter Fear
- Caroline Green, Cracks
- Mark Lowery, Socks are not Enough
- Simon Packham, Silenced
- Laura Powell, Burn Mark
- Mark Walden, Earthfall
- Phil Earle, Saving Daisy
- Sarah Hammond, The Night Sky in my Head
- Sam Hawksmoor, The Repossession
- Edward Hogan, Daylight Saving
- David Massey, Torn
- Teri Terry, Slated
For full details of the shortlisted books and their authors, please go to the shortlists page.
Want to take part? Here's how:
You get to be the judge!
Look at the shortlist categories on this website and choose which list is best for you.
We have 3 categories to choose from:
- Best Book for 9-11 year olds
- Best Book for 11-14 year olds
- The Breezereads Award - Best Book for 14-16 year olds
Find out more about Breezereads at www.breezeleeds.org/pg/3/Breezereads.
Read the books and talk about them with your friends, teachers, carers and librarians.
Look at the authors' (or their publishers') websites to find out more about them and all the books they have written.
Look at the reviews on this website to see what others think and have your say.
Decide which is your favourite book and VOTE!
- You can vote for your favourite book in your local library or through your Leeds Book Awards school book group.
- Voting won't close until Friday 26th April 2013, so don't worry, there is plenty of time to make up your mind.
- When all the votes have been counted, the winners will be announced on 21st May 2013 for the 9-11 category and on 23rd May 2013 for the 11-14 and 14-16 categories.
This year there will be TWO celebration days and Awards ceremonies, the first on Tuesday 21st May 2013 at The Pudsey Civic Hall, for the primary schools reading the 9-11 shortlist. The second celebration day will be on Thursday 23rd May 2013 at Leeds Civic Hall for the two older categories.
Some of the shortlisted authors will be at both Award ceremonies for you to meeet.
So, start reading, and most of all... have fun!!!
- 2013 Winners Announced
- Leeds young people help to establish the Young People's Category of the British Comic Awards
- 2012 Winners Announced
- Second Leeds Graphic Novel Award